Breastfeeding Posture Is Important
October 19th, 2018
By Jennifer Reuby, RMT
From September 29-Oct.5th 2018 Peterborough celebrated world breastfeeding week. To stay with that theme here are some quick tips on posture while breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding can have long term affects on posture because of the forward and protective positions the body goes through in order to nourish the baby. Whether that’s sitting in a chair, on the floor or laying in bed nursing it’s important to ensure good posture to avoid discomfort while feeding your child.
To help prevent long-term problems resulting from these forward, curled in positions here are some things that can help:
- Use a breastfeeding pillow to help prop the baby in order to sit taller.
- Try chair extensions – finding a chair that touches just below your shoulder blades and lean
back while supporting your head. This will help put you in the opposite direction of what you’ve
- Look up and give your neck a break from looking down.
- Gather everything you need so you don’t need to get up and re-find your position.
- Remember, both you and your baby need to be comfortable
This article lists 11 different breastfeeding positions that you can try so you can find a comfortable arrangement:
11 Breastfeeding Positions
Posted in Health